Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

How to grow Iris bulbs in South Auckland

Posted by kathie3461 
How to grow Iris bulbs in South Auckland
March 16, 2009 11:35PM
Hiya FoodLovers,

I have purchased some Iris bulbs, what is the best way to grow/plant them?
Should they be in the garden or planted into planter box thingeeee's.
All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Warmest regards,
-Kathie-
Re: How to grow Iris bulbs in South Auckland
March 18, 2009 03:32PM
Kathie mine used to grow well just in the garden. I am in West Auckland. The only problem I had was our weather was so wet that they didn't dry off at the end of the season but your local climate is drier. Make sure the ground is well fertilized and the plants are fed from time to time.
March 18, 2009 04:41PM
Thankyou Stephanie,

We have horrid soil, our land is cracking at present. But MM can obtain good drugs for them from work. So the garden it is. I was keen on a long trough type thingeee, but MM has out voted me as always.

Warmest regards,
-Kathie-
March 18, 2009 05:02PM
Hello Kathie,
I do know bearded iris love to feel the heat of the sun on their rhizomes and this greatly aids in producing good flowering results. So when planting them make sure you don't bury them and only push them (roots down) into the soil leaving half the rhizome sitting above soil level. They also like to be dug up and split and replanted about every 3 or so years. Mine have desperately needed this for some time now - hence they are not flowering very much at all.
Regards,
Dawn.
PS hope your pineapple sage did it's thing over summer!
March 18, 2009 05:24PM
Thankyou Dawn and the pineapple sage is full of life - thankyou ever so much. He is more than happy in his sunny spot, flowering away and very proud of it.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Pascall Mallow Bites