Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Mixing powdered skim milk

Posted by Gail E 
Mixing powdered skim milk
March 03, 2008 03:52AM
I need to use up some skim milk powder I bought from Binn Inn awhile ago...can anyone tell me the ratio of powder-to-water please?
Re: Mixing powdered skim milk
March 03, 2008 04:41AM

Hi Gail

The ratio for the milk powder is to every Litre of Water you add one cup of milk powder

We use it all the time now & have done for some years.....don't like the brought milk
any more
March 03, 2008 04:30PM
The ratio is 5:1. 5 tablespoons water to 1 tablespoon of skim milk powder. If you always use the same measurement for both parts of the equation, you will get it right, ie 5 cups of water to 1 cup milk powder. Start mixing the two measurements and you'll possibly end up with who knows what. That's where ratios are very handy to understand.
March 03, 2008 05:44PM
Hi Gail.
Definitely one part milkpowder to five parts water for skim milk. Just as an aside, it's one part full cream milkpowder to four parts water.
Cheers
Andrew
March 03, 2008 10:28PM
Thanks for coming to my rescue Lorna and Andrew...handy to know the ratio for both skim and whole milks.

Cheers
Gail E.
March 03, 2008 10:32PM
Sorry Ronnie....mean't to include you in my previous "thankyou".
I used to use powdered milk all the time in Australia but got out of the habit back in NZ. Now that it's getting so expensive I've decided to use it in my baking - might even start drinking it again if these price rises continue.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Pascall Mallow Bites