Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Glycerine/Glucose syrup

Posted by Annabel77 
Glycerine/Glucose syrup
December 14, 2009 05:14PM
Does anyone no if glycerine and glucose syrup are the same thing? I have a recipe for Xmas cake white icing that you need 1 teaspoon of glycerine. I have tried all over town and only found glucose syrup.
Re: Glycerine/Glucose syrup
December 14, 2009 05:45PM
You should be able to buy glycerine from a pharmacy.

Lynne2
December 14, 2009 07:03PM
They are completely different things - Glucose syrup is a sugar syrup made just from glucose (as opposed to table sugar, sucrose), Glycerine or glycerol is a sweet tasting moderately viscous liquid used to make food moist or prolong shelflife and made from the breakdown of fats.

Whew!

Glycerine/glycerol usually comes in those pharmacy style bottles - can sometimes find it in the supermarket in the cake decorating area.

Debbie
[danceswithkumara.blogspot.com]
December 14, 2009 09:31PM
What Debbie said.

You'd never want to add too much glycerine to a recipe as in my experience it has an unpleasant taste to it.
Anonymous User
December 14, 2009 11:04PM
Great to see you back Debbie! I was going to make an enquiry a week or so ago to see if anyone had heard from you. I've been checking out your Dances with Kumara blog from time to time...and lo and behold its been added to! All the best...

Regards
Paula
December 15, 2009 07:49AM
Glycerine is available in the supermarket with the essence and the bottle I have is a Queen variety

Jean
December 15, 2009 04:48PM
Yes, I'm back! It feels like a loooooooooooong time. Actually it has been a long time. Very nice to be back though, thank you for noticing!

Debbie
[danceswithkumara.blogspot.com]
December 15, 2009 05:07PM
you have been missed Debbie. A big welcome back !!
December 15, 2009 05:58PM
Debbie - so good to read you again. Welcome.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Pascall Mallow Bites