Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Recipe for Sweet Chilli Sauce?

Posted by mommamurf 
Recipe for Sweet Chilli Sauce?
March 02, 2012 01:32AM
Does anyone have a recipe for homemade sweet chilli sauce? A neighbour has given me a small bowl of red and green chillies and I'm wondering what to do with them. Although I like a mild 'kick' to my food, I can't handle really hot stuff, so have not cooked much that contains fresh chillies. Also, I don't know how hot the different types and colours are. When a recipe calls for chilli, I usually use dried flakes from a small grinder which I bought some time ago and which, at current rate of usage, will probably see me out, as my dear mother-in-law used to say. However, my husband loves sweet chilli sauce, and I quite like it as a condiment or ingredient if it isn't too hot, so it occurred to me today that this might be the answer. I've googled it, but have been left quite puzzled. Many of the recipes I've found (and I haven't found many) use heaps of tomatoes, garlic, green peppers etc, but no actual chilli, and others do use some chilli, but only make a small amount - mainly to use then and there in a particular recipe. Can anyone advise me on this? Or, failing a recipe for the sauce, I'd welcome other ideas on how to use these little chillies - there are not that many, perhaps 12-15, but I hate to see anything going to waste. They are all small chillies, about the size of my thumb. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2012 01:34AM by mommamurf.
Re: Recipe for Sweet Chilli Sauce?
March 02, 2012 03:48AM
I make Ruth Pretty's Tomato Chilli Jam which is on her page here [www.ruthpretty.co.nz]

I don't like it sweet so add no sugar whatsoever and just boil until it reduces, but if you are after a sweet sauce this may suit?
March 02, 2012 03:58AM
Hi mommamurf. - I will send you a PM as I'm not sure where my recipe comes from.
March 02, 2012 04:05AM
[www.taste.com.au]

The sweet chilli caramel sauce in this recipe is TO DIE FOR GOOD. I've never served it to anyone who didn't eat it off the spoon! Keeps for ages too, in the fridge. Oh, yeah, it's really good with the beef too.
March 02, 2012 09:15PM
Sweet chilli sauce should really be called sweet tomato sauce with chilli. I make it by pureeing 1 can of tomatoes with a couple of chillis, a clove of garlic and a heaped tsp of salt. Simmer with 1 cup of white sugar and 1/4 cup white vinegar until it starts to spit. This is so quick I never bother buying the stuff anymore. You can add ginger too if you're that way inclined. Add more chilli if you like it really hot.
March 02, 2012 10:32PM
Great thread thanks momma. Got heaps of chillis this year (it was cheaper to buy 6 smaller plants than one big one so I planted them all). Definatley going to try Virgils sauce. How long does it keep in the fridge Virgil??

You can freeze your chillis and use them as you need them. I threw a bag in the freezer last season and have just started using them in thai inspired dishes. Not for salads as they go a bit gooey but great for sauces and cooked dishes.
March 02, 2012 11:02PM
My thanks to all of you for a great variety of ideas and recipes, and to Godmother for your private message. All the recipes sound great and I think I have enough to give them all a go. Irene and Virgil - in your respective recipes, do I deseed the chillies or leave the seeds in? Godmother, what are red eshallots, please? And Griz - does it matter if the chillies are not the long kind - mine are short and fat! Cantabcook, I had no idea that I could freeze them, so thank you for that. I'm in the middle of making apricot and plum sauce (separately, not together), tomato relish, zucchini pickle, and pear and apricot jam - so I think I'll pop the chillies in the freezer until next week, and then try out a couple of these ideas. Thanks again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2012 11:04PM by mommamurf.
March 02, 2012 11:18PM
I leave the seeds in Momma, they are not noticeable at all
March 02, 2012 11:18PM
There was an echo in the room. Editing the doubled up post - apologies!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2012 12:54AM by Irene Field.
March 02, 2012 11:25PM
Thanks, Irene.
March 03, 2012 12:49AM
Yes, seeds in and it will last in the fridge for months. It's basically a jam.
March 03, 2012 01:04AM
Thanks, Virgil.
March 03, 2012 03:44AM
I don't think it matters too much about the type of chillies, but if they may have a differing level of heat, I like lots of heat so I'd be inclined to double the chilli for my taste, but your milage may vary on that one.
March 03, 2012 04:02AM
Red eschallots (not in my recipe) but small red onion. AND, finally:

Chilli Sauce (cheats)
6 cloves garlic
1 x large can plums
20 – 30 chillies
¼ C spiced vinegar
Blend to smooth and simmer 1 hour.
Bottle.
March 03, 2012 06:47AM
Below is my sweet chilli sauce recipe (from the newsletter archive on my website: [farmaway.co.nz]

My kids absolutely love the sauce and the three of them will get through half a bottle on their wraps... given the chance.

Short and fat chillies are probably a Thai variety and I expect will be HOT. Try the tip - that is by far the mildest part so if it burns, you know the chillies are hot and you should use less (and remove the white membrane and seeds) unless you like it really spicy.

Home made sweet chilli sauce

Blend 50g to 100g (less if they are small and hot) of roughly chopped chillies (stalks removed) with a teaspoon of salt, a clove of garlic (skin off), plus grated ginger and a few chopped kaffir lime leaves if you fancy. You might need to use some of the vinegar (see below) to get the blending going, especially with thin walled chillies like Thai, bird's eye, tabasco, or cayenne. If you are using dried chillies, soak in hot water for at least 10 minutes first to soften.

In a saucepan, mix the blended chillies, etc with 300mls of vinegar (white, malt, wine or cider) and 200g white sugar. Bring to the boil and then simmer until slightly less thick than you want it (it will thicken on cooling). Watch the pan and stir occasionally - if the sugar burns your pan will be wrecked. And don't get the hot sauce on your skin, it's like napalm!

Pour into a sterilised bottle, put the lid on and allow to cool. The sugar is a natural thickener (this sauce is basically a chilli jam) and preservative, and the vinegar is a preservative, so this sauce will last for years. Once open, the sugar might start to crystallise, but if you warm the bottle (by standing in hot water or zapping (without the lid) in the microwave for 20 seconds), it should dissolve.

A runny sauce makes a good dipping sauce, thick is good for spreading on sandwiches or topping beef wraps, pizzas, etc.
March 03, 2012 08:06AM
The general rule is the smaller the chilli, the hotter.
I like very spicy, but sweet red peppers cooked in the sauce tone down the heat without diluting the flavour.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Pascall Mallow Bites