Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Rainbow Sponge Cake

Posted by Jude 
Rainbow Sponge Cake
October 16, 2004 12:36AM
I'm looking for a recipe for a Rainbow cake that my mum used to make me as a child for my birthday. Was made up of three layers of sponge cake - one chocolate, one pink and one cream. Was really yummy. I would like to make one for my daughters birthday. Would love it if someone could help. Thanks.

Re: Rainbow Sponge Cake
October 16, 2004 12:57AM
Hi jude,
There is a really awesome never fail sponge mix on the Recipe section of foodlovers you could use, with a couple of drops of red food colouring for the pink folding into the mix. For the chocolate you could add a tablespoon of cocoa.
We used to do a sponge where we divided the mix into about 6 parts, coloured each part a different colour then place them in the the dish when you cut it it has all the different colours through it.
Good luck!
I did a rainbow custard cake using the same method for majicks birthday this year and that went down well.
happy baking
Kind Regards
lisa
October 16, 2004 02:39AM
Hi Jude

Had to look twice at this posting:-obecause as a kid my mum used to make me rainbow cake sponge for every birthday (right up to the age of about 18!!) and my name is Jude!!!! She just used to make a sponge recipe and add food colouring for the different layers.

Regards

Jude :)
Joy
October 16, 2004 10:02PM
Hi Jude,I have found a rainbow cake recipe that is in Great Grand Ma's hand written book.I hope it is what you want.

Beat 1/4lb butter & 1/4lb sugar to a cream.Add 4 eggs one at a time.Mix in lightly,1/2lb of sifted flour 1/2teasp baking soda,1teasp cream of tartar.Add a little milk,about 2 tablesp.Divide the mixture into 3 bowls.
Colour one with cochineal,one brown by mixing a dessp cocoa with boiling water and adding,to the last add a few drops of vanilla ess of ess of lemon.Put into pans and cook.
I have copied it as she wrote it and she has not recorded the cooking temp,but it would be just your normal cake cooking temp.Hope you like it.
Nellie
October 16, 2004 10:06PM
Marble Cake is another option. Same as above but cooked in the same tin.
Cheeers
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Pascall Mallow Bites