Brown sugar gives the shortbread a slightly caramel flavour.
- 250g butter, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cornflour
- 1 3/4 cups plain flour
- 150g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons neutral flavoured cooking oil
Preheat oven to 160 C. Beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Sift over combined flours and mix well.
Roll dough out until approximately 3mm thick and cut into heart shapes with a cookie cutter.
Place hearts on a cold tray and bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly coloured and firm.
Cool on a wire rack.
Melt chocolate either in the microwave on reduced power or over a saucepan of simmering water. Dip half of shortbread into chocolate and then place on a piece of baking paper or foil to set. Store in an airtight container in a cool spot.
* Make sure you re roll dough off cuts and use them.
* The oil helps the chocolate to retain its sheen once set.