- pinch of saffron threads
- 2 1/2 cups (625ml) chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 200g Calasparra (or aborio) rice
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Rangitikei chicken breasts
- 125g sliced chorizo
- chopped parsley
- aioli to serve
Crumble the saffron into the chicken stock and gently heat until simmering,
Heat the oil in a large frying pan or paella pan and gently cook the onion and garlic until tender.
Add the rice to the pan and stir to coat with the oil.
Pour the white wine in and allow to bubble and reduce.
Stir through the tomato paste, paprika and salt and then add the chicken stock.
Simmer for 8 minutes before covering the rice with the sliced chicken and chorizo.
Cook a further 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. The rice should be just tender and the paella moist but not sloppy.
Remove from the heat, cover with foil and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with dollops of aioli.