- 125 g butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 320 g icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon neutral flavoured oil eg rice bran oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint essence
- 250 g dark chocolate
Preheat oven to 180 C. Beat butter, vanilla and 4 tablespoons of icing sugar until pale and creamy. Add flour and cocoa and mix well. Press into a slice tin and bake for 12-15 minutes or until firm to touch. Remove from the oven and sit until cooled enough to touch.
Turn out from tin and place on a wire rack. Mix together the 320g of icing sugar, vegetable oil, milk and essence. Spread over the slightly warm base. When peppermint has set cover with melted chocolate. Leave the chocolate until just firm but not solid and then cut into small slices.
* Adding a few drops of vegetable oil or kremelta to the melted chocolate will help it retain gloss when it sets.