- 500g beef sirloin or fillet
- generous grinds of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- watercress and steamed green beans to serve
Trim excess fat from the beef and then cut into small chunks or slices.
.In a bowl, combine the pepper, sugar, garlic, oyster sauce, fish sauce and soy sauce. Add the beef and toss well to coat. Set aside to marinate for 20 minutes or up to 2 hours.
2. For the dressing, combine the spring onion, sugar, salt, pepper, vinegar and water. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
Heat a drizzle of oi in a wok or large frying pan over a high heat. Cook the beef in batches, allowing it to sear for about 1 minute, before shaking the wok or pan to sear another side. Cook for another 30 seconds or so and shake. Cook the beef this way for about 4 minutes total, until nicely browned but not overcooked.
4. Arrange the steamed beans and watercress on a platter, drizzle with dressing and top with beef. Sprinkle with peanuts and serve with rice.