How pretty are these flower shortbread.
Our favourite edible flowers include;
- 250g (8.81oz) butter
- 3/4 cup (170g/6oz) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 rounded teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 rounded teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 cups (240g/8 1/2 oz) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (60g/2.11oz) rice flour (or for a less crunchy shortbread use cornflour)
- 30 edible flowers (not too small as they shrink)
Beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add vanilla, orange and lemon zest and then combined flours. Mix until well incorporated. Add a little extra flour if mixture is sticky.
Turn out onto the bench and roll to approximately 4mm thick. Cut into rounds with a cookie cutter. Place on a cold tray and press a flower onto each.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes, this prevents the shortbread from spreading during cooking.
Preheat the oven to 160 C (320 F).
Slice shortbread into thin slices and place on a cold tray.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until firm and very lightly coloured.