This slice is rich and decadent, perfect for caramel lovers.
I make no apologies for the ingredients, just remember small pieces are all you need. :)
- 1 cup (120g) self raising flour
- 1 packed cup (200g/7 oz) brown sugar
- 1 cup (100g) desiccated coconut
- 125g butter, melted (for the base)
- 600g (1 1/2 cans) sweetened condensed milk
- 50g butter (for the topping)
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 200g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
Heat the oven to 180 C (350 F).
Line a 18 x 28cm slice tin with baking paper.
Combine the flour, brown sugar and coconut in a bowl. Pour in the butter and mix well.
Press the mixture into the slice tin and bake for 12-15 minutes until coloured and starting to firm.
While the base is cooking mix the condensed milk, butter and golden syrup in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil while constantly stirring over a low-medium heat. Cook for a further 5 minutes while stirring to prevent the caramel from catching.
Pour the caramel over the base and then cook for 10 minutes until the caramel is bubbling and set.
Leave to sit for 2 minutes and then gently scatter over the chocolate. Set aside for 5 minutes before smoothing the chocolate over the base using a spoon.
Allow to set and then cut into pieces.