based on a recipe from Anna del Conte in The Classic Food of Northern Italy. The lemon, chilli and herbs give a wonderful flavour to the chicken.
- 1.4kg free range chicken chopped into 8 pieces
- ½ lemon
- olive oil
- 60g unsalted butter
- 150ml dry white wine
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli finely chopped
- rind of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs, oregano, parsley, rosemary, thyme
- 400g tin Italian tomatoes
Rub the chicken with the lemon. Heat the olive oil and butter in a pan and brown the chicken on all sides. Pour over the wine and allow to bubble for 2 minutes. Lower the heat and add the onion and garlic, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile heat a little olive oil in a saucepan and add the onion. Chilli and lemon rind. Cook gently for 4 minutes until the onion softens, add the herbs and continue to cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes and bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and continue to cook, stirring at times for another 15 minutes. Pour sauce over the chicken and cook for a further 20 minutes.