Silky smooth creamy hummus just like your favourite Turkish/Lebanese restaurant might make. This hummus takes a little longer to make but is so worth the effort.
- 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup hulled tahini
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
If using canned chickpeas then pllace the rinsed chickpeas in a saucepan and cover generously with cold water and a pinch – 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon – baking soda. Simmer for 25-30 minutes. Drain and rinse well with cold water, rub of loose skins as is feasible in terms of time.
Place chickpeas in a food processor with tahini, garlic, cumin, lemon juice, water and salt
Process until smooth. Taste and adjust flavours to suit.
Spoon into a bowl or container and drizzle with olive oil. Refrigerate until needed.