- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmerice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 teaspoon salt
Heat the oil in a saucepan, add onion, garlic, turmeric, cumin, ginger, coriander and chilli. Gently cook for 5 minutes or until the onion has softened. Add the tomatoes, lentils, 4 cups of cold water and salt. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils are soft and thickened.
Serve as part of a shared meal or as a simple vegetarian meal with yoghurt and coriander.