You can also add blueberries, chopped mango or papaya or honey dew melon to this delicious and easy dessert.Serves 6-8.
- 1/4 cup dark muscavado sugar
- 1 star anise
- 2 cm piece of ginger, peeled and sliced into thin sticks
- 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
- 1 vanilla pod, split down the centre
- 1/2 medium sized watermelon
- 1 rockmelon
- 4 mint leaves, roughly torn
Place the sugar, star anise, ginger, lime juice and vanilla in a small saucepan with 1/2 cup of water and heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Using a melon baler scoop the melons into balls and place in a large bowl. Alternatively chop the melon into chunks.
Strain the syrup although you may like to leave the star anise in, pour over the melon and scatter with mint leaves.