These are such good scones, either for morning tea, lunch or the perfect accompaniment to a bowl of soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2 cups flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 50g fridge cold butter
- 1 cup (100g) grated tasty cheddar cheese
- 100g crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup small rocket leaves (wild rocket has better flavour)
- just under 1 cup milk (2 millimetres below the rim of a measuring cup)
Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
Heat the oil in a small frying pan over a medium heat and cook the onion for about 10 minutes until tender and slightly crisp.
Combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Grate in the butter and then rub with your fingers until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Stir in the grated cheese, feta, onion, and rocket.
Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk. Quickly mix with a knife until the mixture just comes together. Do not over mix as otherwise the scones will be tough.
Tip the dough out onto the bench, pat into a rectangle about 2cm thick. Cut into shapes, place these onto a baking tray. Cook for 12-15 minutes until golden and firm to the touch.
Serve warm with butter.
Makes 6-8 scones.