I like using quinoa in this soup but you can of course use the traditional barley or other grains of choice.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 onions, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, flinely sliced
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 courgettes, grated
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1.5 litres beef stock
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 3/4 cup alphabet pasta
- 2 tablespoons pesto (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
Heat oil in a large saucepan and gently cook onion, celery, carrot and courgette for 10-15 minutes until tender.
Add tomato paste and stock, bring to the boil and then simmer for 45 minutes.
Add quinoa and cook a further 15 minutes before adding alphabet pasta and then simmer for a further 15 minutes.
Stir through the pesto and parsley and simmer for 2 minutes further.
* The flavour of the soup will depend very much on the quality of your stock. If the soup seems watery and lacking in flavour then I would suggest adding 1 beef stock cube.