This salad is absolutely delicious, the ingredient list may be long but it is quick and simple to put together.
Adapted from a recipe from Spirit House in Noosa.
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or water
- 3 cm fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped coriander root
- 650 g chicken breast fillets, skin off
- 1/2 Chinese cabbage, finely chopped (alternatively use iceberg lettuce)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 telegraph cucumber, chopped into fine sticks
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup mint leaves (Vietnamese if you have it)
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup peanuts, lightly roasted
- 1/4 cup coconut thread, lightly toasted
- 2 red chillies, seeds removed and finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2 tablespoons palm sugar,
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
Place the coconut cream, stock,ginger, palm sugar, fish sauce and coriander in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the chicken breasts and gently poach until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the heat and allow to cool in the liquid.
Mix together the cabbage, carrot, cucumber, herbs, peanuts and coconut in a large bowl or platter.
Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl - check flavouring and add more sugar if need be. The chilli should not dominate so only use one chilli if they are particularly hot.
Shred the chicken and toss through the salad and then drizzle with dressing.