My teenagers really like this dish, the ingredient list may look long but it is essentially a full meal and the method is simple. You just need a simple green salad alongside.
Gochujang paste is from Korea, it is savoury, spicy and slightly sweet. You can find it at Asian food stores and in many supermarkets.
- 3 tablespoons Gochujang paste
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cm knob fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons mild olive oil
- 10-12 chicken pieces, skin on and bone in (I use thighs and drumsticks)
- 1 large orange kumara, peeled and chopped
- 300g wedge of pumpkin, chopped into 4cm chunks
- 3-4 floury potatoes, washed and chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped into wedges
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
Preheat the oven to 190 C.
In a small bowl combine the Gochujang paste, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and sesame oil.
Pour the oil into a large roasting dish.
Place the chicken and vegetables in a large plastic bag along with the sauce. Shake to coat.
Arrange the chicken and vegetables in the roasting dish, season generously with salt and bake for 45 minutes until the chicken is well coloured, cooked through and the vegetables tender.
Sprinkle with celery and spring onion and serve with a simple green salad.