- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted pistachio nuts
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted almonds
- 1/4 cup currants
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 1/4 cups basmati rice
- 500 ml chicken stock
- finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
Heat the butter in a cast iron casserole on the stove top and gently cook the onion until just tender. Add the pistachios, almonds, currants, thyme and rice to the casserole and stir to coat the grains of rice with butter. Increase the heat and pour over the stock, lemon zest and season with sea salt and pepper. Cover and bring to the boil, reduce to the lowest possible simmer and allow to cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
Serve with roast chicken.