Chargrilling spring onions brings out a lovely soft mellow onion flavour and they are literally cooked in a few minutes.
They make a lovely side dish to a shared meal.
- 2 bunches (approx 12 individual) spring onions
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds, lightly toasted
- small handful crumbled feta
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Wash the spring onions and then trim the very tops of the green leaves and chop off the roots if you prefer. I like the look of leaving them intact.
Heat a griddle pan or bbq hot plate on high, arrange the spring onions on the plan and add a little drizzle of oil. Cook for a couple of minutes before turning, the aim is for good colour and also for the spring onions to become tender. This will take about 5 minutes in total.
Serve sprinkled with almonds, feta and lemon zest and season with salt and pepper.