- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 250g punnet button mushrooms, halved
- 1 teasppoon fresh thyme leaves
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- 3 chicken breasts (boneless and skinless), cooked
- 50g butter
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk, heated
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 3 sheets fresh lasagne
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 180̊ C. Melt the 1 tablespoon of butter with the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion over a gentle heat for about 10 minutes. Increase the heat to moderate and add the garlic, mushrooms, bacon and thyme, cook, stirring regularly until the mushrooms are starting to colour and the bacon is cooked, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Chop the chicken into chunks approximately 3cm. Mix the chicken with the mushroom mixture.
3 To make the béchamel, melt the 50g of butter in a small saucepan and stir in the flour. Mix well and cook for a few minutes then stir in the milk, whisking until the sauce boils and thickens. Stir in the Parmesan and season.
4. Sprinkle then breadcrumbs over the base of a greased rectangular baking dish approximately 30 x 25cm. Cover with a lasagne sheet and then a third of the mushroom mixture and a sprinkle of mozzarella followed by a layer of sauce. Add another lasagne layer and another third of the mushroom mixture and sauce. Cover with a lasagne sheet and spread over remaining sauce and then finish with a sprinkle of Mozzarella cheese.
Bake for 45 minutes or until browned and bubbling.
* A drizzle of truffle oil just before serving would be fabulous with this lasagne.