- 12 chicken drumsticks (depending on size)
- 3 onions, very finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2cm chunk of ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- pinch chilli flakes
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- salt to taste
- pinch of brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- coriander leaves
Heat a film of oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and brown the chicken, turning at times so the skin is coloured all over.
Remove the chicken from the pan, turn the heat to low, add another slosh of oil and then cook the onion and garlic until soft – about 15 minutes.
Add the ginger, tomato paste, coriander, cumin, paprika, turmeric and chilli flakes and cook for a few minutes until the spices are fragrant.
Return the chicken to the pan and then add tomatoes, salt and a generous pinch of brown sugar also if you like (sugar helps balance acidity in tomatoes).
Simmer for 20-30 minutes until chicken is thoroughly cooked and the tomatoes are thick and saucy. A few minutes before the end of cooking stir through the garam masala.
Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Serve with rice and sprinkled with coriander leaves.