This is a large, moist cake with a delicious crunchy topping.
- 125 g butter
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 250 ml fruit yoghurt (e.g. fruit salad or apricot)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup coconut
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts or brazil nuts
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup cream, lightly whipped
Preheat oven to 180 °C. Grease and line a 24cm spring-form cake tin. Soften butter, cream well, add sugars, beat again. Whisk eggs and add gradually. Fold in yoghurt and vanilla essence with a rubber scraper or metal spoon. Lastly, fold in sifted dry ingredients. Bake approximately 35-45 minutes, until sides of cake are shrinking slightly from sides of tin. Do not overcook – cake should be moist. Remove from oven and spoon over topping.
Mix dry ingredients, add melted butter and vanilla and fold in whipped cream.
Release spring and remove ring from cake. Carefully cut crust from top of cake. Spoon over topping. Replace ring around cake and grill until topping is lightly coloured (Watch carefully!) Serves 12-16