- 25g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon garam marsala
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 600g chicken thigh fillets, skin off, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 400g can coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- squeeze lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a low heat, gently cook the onion and garlic until tender. Place the chicken in a plastic bag and add the combined nutmeg, turmeric, cumin, and salt, toss to coat the chicken.
Increase the pan heat to medium and add the chicken, cook for 5 minutes, turning at times. Add the garam masala and tomato paste and mix. Pour in the coconut cream, brown sugar and soy sauce, simmer for 20 minutes until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the sauce has thickened. Add a squeeze of lemon juice before serving.
Taste and if the flavour is sharp then add a little more brown sugar.