- Prep time: 15 mins
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Finished in: 45 mins
- 750g chicken breast or thigh meat
- 150g shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 curry leaves
- 2 star anise
- 1/2 cinnamon quill
- 4 cloves
- 2 tablespoons good quality curry powder
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 150g tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 200g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup water
Heat oil and clarified butter in a large frying pan, add all the spices and stir until fragrant. Then add the shallots, garlic and ginger, stir well until shallots are tender.
Add the chicken and potato stir well and cook for 10 minutes, then add the curry powder and water and mix well.
Add the coconut milk and tomatoes. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, remove the lid and cook a further few minutes until sauce has thickened. Serve with rice or Roti / chapatti.