This creamy mellow curry is a family favourite, I make it so often that I think I could make it with my eyes shut.
Add in potatoes, pumpkin, carrots if you like.
I also often add sliced green beans and other vegetables for about the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- 2 tablespoons neutral flavoured oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons Thai yellow curry paste
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped lemongrass
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, torn in half
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated or finely chopped palm sugar (can use brown sugar)
- 1 large orange kumara, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium Agria potato, peeled and chopped
- 400ml can coconut cream
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 650g chicken (boneless and skinless) roughly chopped (thighs or breasts)
- a small handful of chopped roasted cashew nuts
- 2 tablespoons crisp fried shallots
- coriander leaves
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a gentle heat and cook the onion and garlic for about 10 minutes, until softened.
Add the curry paste, lemongrass, lime leaves, fish sauce and sugar, cook for about 5 minutes before adding the kumara and potato. Turn the vegetables to coat with the spice.
Add the coconut cream, chicken stock, bring just to the boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes before adding the chicken.
Cook a further 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the kumara/potato tender.
Taste and add salt if needed. It will depend on the chicken stock used as to whether you need to add more.