- 200g (approximately 10) tasti ready to eat figs, chopped
- 140g Tasti hazelnuts, lightly toasted and skins rubbed off
- 70g Tasti brazil nuts, lightly toasted and roughly chopped
- 70g Tasti blanched almonds, lightly toasted and roughly chopped
- 125g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- finely grated rind of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons Dutch processed cocoa
- 1-2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup sugar
- icing sugar or extra cocoa to dust
Preheat oven to 150 C and line a 20cm round cake tin with baking paper.
Combine figs, nuts, chocolate and orange in a bowl. Sift over combined flour, cocoa and spice and mix well.
Place honey and sugar into a small saucepan and warm over a gentle heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. brush any sugar crystals off the side of the pan with a wet pastry brush. Bring sugar mixture to the boil and boil for 2-3 minutes.
Pour hot syrup into the dry ingredients and mix well. Press mixture into the cake tin and bake for 15-20 minutes until panforte is firm and starting to pull away from the sides of the tin. Cool for a few minutes in the tin and then on a wire rack. To store, wrap in plastic clingfilm and place in a sealed container in a cool spot.
Dust with icing sugar or cocoa to serve.
* Panforte is lovely with a creamy blue cheese.