- 700g beef casserole steak eg blade or skirt
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 2 teaspoons grated lemongrass (available in jars at the supermarket)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, finely chopped.
Preheat oven to 160 C or set up your slow cooker. Chop the beef into 3 cm chunks and place in a shallow container with the fish and soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger and five spice. Refrigerate for several hours or even overnight.
Heat oil in a frying pan and gently cook onion, carrots and celery until just tender. Transfer the vegetables to a casserole or slow cooker. Increase the heat and brown the meat in batches, adding to the casserole/slow cooker. Finally brown the mushrooms. Add remaining marinade ingredients and beef stock to and cook in the oven for 2 1/2 hours or in the slow cooker on high for 5 hours. Stir though the chopped peanuts if using or alternativley thicken or reduce sauce.
Serve with steamed rice, coriander leaves and steamed greens.