- 3 red onions, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 sheets butter puff pastry
- 12 Kalamata olives, halved
- 8 anchovy fillets (optional), chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- freshly ground black pepper
Place onion in a saucepan, drizzle over the oil and gently cook for 30 minutes or until completely tender and starting to colour. Add sugar and vinegar to the pan, increase the heat and stir until onions colour deepens, this will only take a few minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
Preheat oven to 200 C. Cut 7cm circles of pastry with a cookie cutter and place on a cold slightly oiled tray. Place a spoonful of cooled onion in the centre of the circle and top with half an olive, a little anchovy and a sprinkle of thyme. Season with a grind of black pepper and bake for 10-15 minutes until the pastry is golden and crisp.
Serve warm or at room temperature.