- 8-10 chicken pieces (I use chicken portions with bone in and skin on)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 x400g cans cannellini beans (white beans)
- 250g spinach, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
Season chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat a film of oil in a large frying pan and brown chicken over a medium heat until crisp and golden. Set aside.
Pour off any excess fat from the pan and gently cook onion, garlic and rosemary for 10 minutes before returning chicken to the pan (use a casserole or electric frying pan if you frying pan isn’t big enough to fit the chicken).
Pour over the chicken stock, cover and simmer for 15 minutes before adding the beans to the pan. Continue to simmer uncovered for a further 15 minutes until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the liquid has reduced. Add the spinach to the pan for the final 10 minutes of cooking.
Serve sprinkled with lemon zest.