This salad is so delicioiusly tasty.
It makes 5 prawns per serving but this can be adjusted to suit.
You can also add sliced fresh mango and/or pineapple if you like. Both are well suited to this salad.
- 20 green prawn cutlets
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 2 egg whites, lightly whisked
- 3/4 cup thread coconut
- 200g bean thread vermicelli
- 1/2 telegraph cucumber, chopped into 2cm chunks
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 2 large handfuls, mung bean sprouts
- 1 large handful coriander leaves
- 1 large handful basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 handful mint leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted cashew nuts (or peanuts)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2-3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice bran oil
Dust the prawn cutlets with cornflour, dip in the egg white and then roll in coconut to coat. Set aside.
Soak the vermicelli in boiling water for 5 minutes, drain well and chop a little with kitchen scissors.
Combine vermicelli, cucumber, tomatoes, herbs, red onion and sprouts on a large platter or bowl.
Mix the garlic, chilli, sugar, fish sauce, lime juice and oil together in a small bowl. Taste and adjust flavours as needed. It should have a sweet, sour, salty flavour.
Heat a enough oil to come to a depth of 1-2cm in a large pot or deep frying pan.
Once the oil is hot enough that a small piiece of coconut immediately starts to bubble then quickly cook the prawns in batches until a deep golden colour on each side. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels.
Arrange prawns over the salad, drizzle with dressing and serve.