2 tps instant dry yeast
3/4 cup lukewarm water
2 cups strong flour (high grade or bread flour)
3 tbsp icing sugar
2 tbsp vegetable oil
250g barbecue pork, diced
1 tbsp oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp baking powder
3 tsp water
1. Mix yeast with warm water and set aside for 5 minutes until frothy.
2. Mix flour and icing sugar in a bowl, make a well in the centre and add yeast mixture and oil. Mix to form a dough and then knead until soft and elastic – 10 -15 minutes.
3. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean tea towel. Sit in a warm spot and leave to rise until doubled in bulk.
4. heat oil in a small frying pan and cook onion until tender, mix in sauces. Allow filling to cool.
5. Roll dough out into 3mm thick, cut into 7cm discs and place a spoonful of filling in the centre. Draw the dough up around the filling. Brush buns with baking powder dissolved in water.
6. Place buns on a small piece of baking paper inside a steam basket and cover tightly. Steam over boiling water for 9 minutes.